Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A World of the Ustad.

Ordinary things and ordinary people cannot keep me up at 4:30 am and make me write a blog entry on them. Well, on what I am writing today, is in the true sense extraordinary. Ustad Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan Sahab.

X&Y.The axes on the graph paper. The axes of my soul. After listening to Ustad, I realized that there exists an axis Z in my soul. Just like a string on a harp, it emerges only when struck. And for sure, Ustad Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan Sahab's music truly struck mine causing some resonance!

His music, along with depth and elevation in pitch, has variation which is refreshing. When I listen to "Kinna sona tenu rab ne banaya" I feel like having a crush on somebody. And truly, "Dil kare dekhta rava"!

The Ustad is truly the maestro as far as his classically 'qawali' trained voice is concerned. He modernizes Qawali by using western instruments like the electric guitar, trumpet, electric keyboard and the drums in many of his songs. And it comes out beautifully, soulfully, in a brilliant contrast.

The fusion in his music is unlike any other in this world. The thing about his songs which touches my heart the most is that from a background of the hectic techno/modern music, emerges purity, love, melancholy and an emotion filled voice.

The following song in the video makes me happy from inside. I feel a two way itch. My sole itches to reach the floor and my soul itches to be let in heaven. This song is in the classical qawali style with classical instruments like the tabla and the harmonium.

"Dam mast kalandar"


A beautiful solo by Ustad. One of my favourite songs ever. And he does more than justice to it as the lucky audience watches a great recital.
"Sanu ek pal"


This is the song that I loved from the very first time I listened to it. A marvel created by the star lyricist Javed Akhtar Sahab and Ustad himself.

"Afreen"



A classic, OST of Dead Man Walking featuring Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan and Eddie Vedder.

"Face of Love".




I could keep embedding videos here. Its already an hour up and I realise it's just about an hour for the sun to rise. Will sleep for a hour and a half before I get back to studying, but with eternal and overwhelming music in my heart.

Enjoy the songs.
So long.

No comments: