Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Aaj tere tiffin mein kya hai?

As I was reading a post- Healthy. Wealthy. And almost Wise. by a fellow blogger , who mentioned in that the joy of sharing food, I realised how I deeply enjoy this and hence thought that this definitely deserves a blog post, which of course is only an extension of her idea!

It happens everywhere- when colleagues open their lunch dabbas in offices, when small cute kiddos, who leave home with water bottles around their necks, open their double-decker boxes in short breaks. (The boys often show off the pokemon, superheroes and wrestling star designs on them)

It happens everywhere- when we see three auto-rickshaw wallas sitting so that two are behind and one is in the front facing them, late in the night or early in the evening, waiting for that guy to open the dabba who had his turn to cook that day.

It happens everywhere, and this being the best food sharing ever, when Gujjus meet Punjabis, when Sindhis meet Andhra-ites and when Keralites meet Maharashtrians on overnight journeys while sharing berths in trains. Because then, there is Bhatura-Shaak, Chhole-Dhokla, Koki with Pudina Chutney, Sai bhaji with Hyderabadi Biryani, Vada-Appam and Fish-curry with Pav.

The awesomeness that this is, I have heard, does not exist abroad. And Dev Kolhi, while writing lyrics, forgot to mention this one in his song "It happens only in India". There are chances that I settle abroad. Chances that a CA student has at thinking after a full day class at JK Shah Classes (that being the most popular one..yes this one's for you my friend!).But anyway, if I ever settle abroad, this might just be the thing which will pull me back to this beautiful country.

3 comments:

Prerna said...

:)))

This is a first for me Avi! Thanks :)

And yes, isn't it just lovely!? I got through articleship fuelled on the joys of sharing food (& downing litres of coffee) Sharing food as you mention it & also, sharing it with street kids..'cause I don't give them alms. Also, when tiny kids get whiny & pester their Moms in local trains, I open up my dabba filled with biscuits or fruits & pass it around! Joyous it makes me when they smile back & stop howling.. :)

Avinash Shahri said...

My pleasure! Please write often!

And yes,I have always believed in giving food to the street kids from the time when I saw the mother of a certain street kid smoking beedi and hitting another kid of her's as she didn't bring enough money as alms. :(

And I never got the chance to feed kids in the train. General compartment :P

Sunny Side Up said...

arre. i want tiffin.